Home > Knowledge > Extrusion Machinery > Twin Screw Extruders > What does the Advantages and Shortcomings between Twin Screw Extrusion Machine
What does the Advantages and Shortcomings between Twin Screw Extrusion Machine?
The main advantages of twin-screw over single-screw extruders are:
- Pumping efficiency is better and less dependent on the flow properties of the material
- Mixing is more efficient.
- Heat exchange rate from barrel surface to the material is faster and more uniform.
- Residence time is more uniformly distributed.
- Thanks to the possibility of flexible modular configuration of the screw and the barrel, the twin-screw extruder is a more versatile machine.
- High moisture and sticky materials can be handled. This is, probably, the most important advantage because it enables processing of materials that could not be handled hitherto by single-screw extruders. The introduction of twin-screw technology has resulted in a most significant expansion of the application of extrusion to foods and the spectrum of extruded products.
- Self-wiping reduces the risk of residue buildup.
- Feeding problems with cohesive materials are less serious.
- Higher cost: both the capital expenditure and the operation cost are higher
- Complexity: the twin-screw extruder is mechanically more complex and less robust. Consequently, the machine is more sensitive to mechanical abuse (such as high torque).